“Out, damned spot! Out, I say!” Lady Macbeth may have been a bit psycho but I can relate to her hysteria over spots. When a pimple recently surface on my chin I was like, “Cruel world, why hath thou bestowed on me crow’s feet and pimples? Woe is me.”
So I decided to try a couple of DIY recipes based on whatever I had in my pantry.
Cinnamon/Honey Spot Treatment
Why: Cinnamon is supposed to dry out acne and works as a natural antiseptic. It’s also can be irritating to sensitive skin. Honey works as an anti-inflammatory agent.
- Mix 3 parts honey to 1 part ground cinnamon powder.
- Stir until it becomes the consistency of a paste.
- Use a q-tip to dab it on to affected area. Or if you are lazy like me, use a clean finger.
- Leave the glob on there for at least 20 minutes before rinsing off.
- Don’t expect the pimple to have miraculously vanished. Instead go watch some Parks and Recreation – or just gifs of Ron Swanson. That will make you feel better.
Outcome: I got this recipe from Ecouterre, a sustainable fashion website. It had a list of acne-busting treatments and this was the one with most accessible ingredients.
The first time I tried it with Coles honey and the area became really itchy and sore. I tried again with a Manuka honey and it was okay. If you have sensitive skin like mine proceed with caution.
Lemon Juice (vegan)
Why: This one’s a little controversial. On Makeup Alley some people swear it helps while others say it gave them a rash. I’m here to be your human guinea pig.
- Cut up a lemon and squeeze into a glass, mug or bowl.
- Dab a q-tip into the juice and apply directly to the pimple.
Outcome: What the hell possessed me to do this freaking madness? Seriously, is one tiny pimple causing damage in my brain? This burnt like hell. After ten minutes of stinging I had to refrain from madly scratching my face.
So my hunt for a DIY pimple-treatment recipe continues. Have you got an effective pimple solution? If so, please share in the comments below.